Tuesday, November 25, 2008

More Canning, ug!!

We are so grateful that Grandma Cook shared her pumkin with us. But I think there is a reason we can for one harvest season and then have 9 months off!!! We are so tired of canning. But we got the pumkin all cut up and cooked down last night. I finally went to bed at midnight. Todd went to bed at 10:00 since he is running a paper route right now, and we want him to be safe while driving. And right now, Todd is pressure cooking all the bottles. (I had to run Garth home and jump on the computer, oh darn.) We have 3 pressure cookers worth. 60-90 minutes a pressure cooker! But we are so grateful for the food storage. We love pumpkin pie cake and pumpkin muffins. And we have found that canned pumpkin makes good baby food.
After mom and dad (nef's) experience with Gerber, Todd won't feed his kids store bought baby food. So we have learned to make our own. It's not hard, and it's not expensive either. We have saved money this way. Anything canned can be ran through a food processor (our magic bullet) and then fed to a baby. Pumpkin and applesauce is already pre-squished. But we won't need that for a while longer. I know. But we are doing our best to be prepared. You should see our house. We have taken all my books off the shelf. The books will be fine in our outdoor storage unit, the canned food will not. So we have bookshelves of food storage. I have never canned so much as we have this year--even if you take all my canning before combined!! But Todd did can pears before we were married. I should have known what I was getting myself into!! But seriously, I am grateful for the knowledge and the food. We have been so blessed. And it is reassuring and peaceful to know we have done what we can to put up a years supply. We still have more work to get up to the year, but we have done all we can up to this point. Now it's time to stock up on the dry stuff like Oatmeal, Sugar, Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, ect....

1 comment:

Elaina said...

WOW! you guys are amazing! I'm glad you don't feed your babies on the store bought food. We never have. We have a blender so we blend up food and feed out babies. A lot more cheaper than buying it in the store that's for sure. We make out own baby formula instead of the baby formula in the store. Too exspensive. This baby formula we have was used before the baby formula in the store and it's a whole lot better than the store bought stuff. We actually tried the baby formula in the store but it always plugged Justin up or gave him really bad stomach aches.